[R] arrange data for simple regression analysis

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 12:39:13 CEST 2006

Here are a couple of possibilities using the builtin iris data set.  Note
that although the coefficients come out the same, the degrees of
freedom, etc., would differ:

> n <- rep(1:3, 50)
> lm(Petal.Length ~ Petal.Width, iris, weight = n)

Call:
lm(formula = Petal.Length ~ Petal.Width, data = iris, weights = n)

Coefficients:
(Intercept)  Petal.Width
      1.057        2.262

> lm(Petal.Length ~ Petal.Width, iris[rep(1:nrow(iris), n),])

Call:
lm(formula = Petal.Length ~ Petal.Width, data = iris[rep(1:nrow(iris),
    n), ])

Coefficients:
(Intercept)  Petal.Width
      1.057        2.262