[R] rmeta: forest plot problem

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Mon Apr 24 22:43:17 CEST 2006

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Andrej Kastrin wrote:

> Der useRs,
>
> I'm working on meta analysis using rmeta package. Using code below I
> plot the forest plot:
>
> library(rmeta)
> data (catheter)
> a<-meta.MH (n.trt, n.ctrl, col.trt, col.ctrl, data=catheter, names=Name,
> subset=c(13,6,5,3,7,12,4,11,1,8,10,2))
> summary(a) # odds ratio values and confidence intervals
> metaplot(a$logOR, a$selogOR, nn=a$selogOR^-2,a$names, summn=a$logMH,
> sumse=a$selogMH, sumnn=a$selogMH^-2, logeffect=TRUE)
>
> Now I would like to add numerical odds ratio values and corresponding
> confidence intervals for each study on the second y axis (eg.
> http://www.statsdirect.com/help/meta_analysis/cochrane_plot.htm. I try
> with 'text' command, but the outcome is disastrous. If anyone can
> explain the best way to solve my problem, I should be very grateful.

One of the examples from Paul Murrell's book (on his web page at
http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~paul/RGraphics/chapter1.html) shows how to
do a picture like this with grid graphics. It's fairly easy to customize.

 	-thomas

PS: I have written a more general version of this but haven't added it to
rmeta yet, and I don't have it with me today