[R] [O/T] undergrads and R

Ales Ziberna aleszib at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 12:21:10 CEST 2006

Dear John Fox,

thank you for your reply. I appologize for not finding the "sort.names"
option myself.

As for the option of choosing several variables at a time, I would like
to see this possibility everywhere where possible. Let me give a few
examples:
1. Calculating the mean of several variables (for example, I often want
to compute the mean of a set of variables measuring the same concept)
2. Recoding a set of variables with the same rule
3. Transforming a set of variables from factor to numeric or vice verse.
(This would be especially useful when using data read from SPSS, as all
variables with labels are converted to factors. These are often ordinal
variables measured on 5 or more point scale, which are often as close as
you can get in social sciences to interval variables. However for most
of the analysis (like regression, factor analysis ...), they have to be
treated as numeric.)

As to how this should be done, I agree that a check-box to select all
numeric variables might be to "no thingking" approach. I would just like
to have an option to select several variables, the same way as is done
now in for example factor analysis.

I do understand that you want the students to think what they are doing.
However I would like to present them the R commander as an alternative
to SPSS also for doing their assignments for other courses and I do not
believe they would be willing to make the change if they have to do so
much "clicks" just to compute averages for let say 20 variables.

I personally think that it is enough that the software does not allow
you (or the students) to do "wrong things" (like computing a mean of the
factor), especially not without thinking about it.

Another option I would like are:
1. An option to save (or actually to not delete) the results of let say
factor analysis, so I could use them for further analysis.
2. Currently, if I create a factor via command line, it is not
recognized my the menus (for example, I can not do a frequency table).
  If I select a different data frame and then again the previous one as
the active data frame, the new factor is now recognized in the menus. So
I would also be satisfied by a refresh option for the active data frame.

That would be all for now. Thanks again for the reply and for creating
Rcmdr in the first place.

Best regards,
Ales

John Fox pravi: