[R] A question about is.interger function

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Wed Apr 26 17:07:35 CEST 2006

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Leon wrote:

> Hi, All
> I am using is.integer function to examine whether an object is an integer or not, but I get such results,

As the help page says, is.integer()
      Creates or tests for objects of type '"integer"'.

That is, is.integer() tests to see whether the variable is of type
integer, not whether the number currently stored in that variable is a
whole number.

Numerical constants such as 5 are of type double, but the results of :
with whole number arguments are of type integer.

 	-thomas