[R] Were to find appropriate functions for a given task in R

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Wed Apr 26 17:45:43 CEST 2006

1. Check out the R reference card at
http://www.rpad.org/Rpad/Rpad-refcard.pdf . There are also several others
available from the CRAN website.

2. Check out TINN-R, a Windows text/R code editor that integrates the above
and provides function "tips" inline to give the syntax of many R functions.

3. ?help.search

4. ?RSiteSearch (or search CRAN directly using Jon Baron's search engine).

These do not eliminate the problem, but hopefully mitigate it. Given that
there are several thousand R functions spread among hundreds of packages at
at least three separate repositories (CRAN, BioConductor, and Omegahat),
it's clearly a nontrivial issue. But that's why Google and other search
services are multibillion dollar companies.

HTH

Cheers,
Bert