[R] copying previously installed libraries to R 2.3.0

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 21:54:24 CEST 2006

Note that the FAQ is really no different from batchfiles since the
FAQ does not address how to move or copy the packages and the batchfiles
scripts just do that (with the safeguard that they will not overwrite any
packages that are already there so you could, for example, manually
install a few packages and the move or copy the remaining ones over.)

I think there was some discussion that 2.3.0 might have moving/copying
capability built into the R installer but since it seems that
that did not make it into 2.3.0 it should be possible to use
the scripts, as before, or, alternatively, just re-install all your
packages from scratch.

By the way, there were some comments about the advantage of
keeping your packages in a library so that you can just update
the library.  The problem with that is that if you want to keep
multiple versions of R on the same system then you will want
to make sure that each R version has packages that run with that
version of R so if you clobber the ones that run with 2.2.0, say, by
overwriting them with 2.3.0 packages then you can no longer use
that library with 2.2.0.  If you keep the packages in .../R/R-2..../library
then you can be sure that each R version has the right packages in
its library without messing around.