[R] Were to find appropriate functions for a given task in R

Erik Iverson iverson at biostat.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 26 22:24:25 CEST 2006

 > Then, people tend to
 > define its own functions (I'm doing this too), and a lack of
 > standardization makes it difficult to keep everything into control.

If you think of R as more of a language rather than a pre-packaged
statistical program, I feel that helps.  In the C++ world, there are
people all over writing classes and functions, and many of these have
close or duplicate functionality.  As a programmer, you can decide which
one to use for your needs, or program your own, or extend someone
else's, the choice is yours.  The same in the R world, you have choices,
and there does not have to be necessarily only method to do each task.

I don't feel there needs to be 'control', everyone can implement what
they want.

If you think of R only as a prepacked statistical program however, I can
see getting frustrated that there are usually many ways to do the same
thing.  R is much more than this though.  That's how I see it anyway.