[R] R for Mac OS X: 10.3.9 is obsolete?

iit512 iit512 at yandex.ru
Thu Apr 27 09:36:49 CEST 2006

Dear all,

I am highly disappointed of the following decision:

===
... Starting with R 2.3.0, CRAN binaries support Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and higher only.
===

Of course,

===
It is, however, possible to compile binaries for earlied OS X versions from sources.
===

But the process, described on
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/RMacOSX-FAQ.html#Building-R-from-sources consists of more than 9 steps and is much more complex than installing R for Linux. And I think that most Mac users (like their Windows colleagues) cannot compile any application from source...

Even worse, I also suspect (there is no information, actually) that from R 2.3.0 there will not be precompiled binaries of R packages for Mac OS X < 10.4 in CRAN :-((

So, the question is, is there any volunteers who could produce R binaries for Mac OS X 10.3.9? Since it will be "unofficial", I will provide the Web space.

With best wishes and regards,

Alexey Shipunov