[R] R for Mac OS X: 10.3.9 is obsolete?

Simon Urbanek urbanek at research.att.com
Fri Apr 28 04:09:54 CEST 2006

Peter pretty much summed it up. Just two notes.

On Apr 27, 2006, at 4:20 AM, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> "iit512" <iit512 at yandex.ru> writes:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am highly disappointed of the following decision:
>>
>> === ... Starting with R 2.3.0, CRAN binaries support Mac OS X 10.4
>> (Tiger) and higher only. ===

Not that we have a choice - Intel Macs are supported only with 10.4
and we don't have the resources to maintain two systems in parallel
(and a set of compilers and libraries and packages and ...).

>> [...]
>> So, the question is, is there any volunteers who could produce R
>> binaries for Mac OS X 10.3.9? Since it will be "unofficial", I
>> will provide the Web space.
>
> I don't think alternative web space is necessary. There's no rule
> that CRAN binaries have to be made by the core team, and some of
> the Linux versions aren't. The real problem is whether anyone wants
> to lock their precious Macs to an obsolete version of the OS...

For the time being I still have access to the old machine that I was
using for 10.3 ppc builds. I can't promise that it will stay on 10.3
for long (it's a server that is used for other purposes, too), but
for now there is a binary and some packages - check out http://
R.research.att.com/ (near the bottom of the page). Please use only if
you really have no way to upgrade to Tiger.
If anything breaks, it breaks - this is strictly unofficial and
without any support. Remember - you can NOT use CRAN binaries on
10.3, so don't even try to install binary packages from CRAN for this
one. And, please, don't fill any bug reports, either - get a Tiger
instead ;).

Cheers,
Simon