[R] stepwise regression

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Apr 28 13:23:33 CEST 2006

Dear Jinsong Zhao,

In proc reg in SAS, selection=stepwise does (modified) forward selection. In
step() in R, the default method is "backward" when the scope argument is
absent. To do (modified) forward selection, you can specify an initial model
with only a constant, and use the scope argument to specify all predictors.
See ?step for details.

It's hard to imagine, however, that it makes much sense to search for a
model with 9 predictors and 7 observations -- you'll just end up with a
model that fits perfectly.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox