[R] Writing responses to the R-Help list

Farrel Buchinsky fbuchins at wpahs.org
Sat Apr 29 22:48:39 CEST 2006

A while back Gabor Grothendieck suggested that I try
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general. This was after I asked how
to easily reply to posts on the listserve. Ideally I would like the
functionality that I find in Microsoft Outlook Express newsreader for usenet
groups or what I find in Google Groups.

I started using gmane about 3 weeks ago. I find it fantastic for searching
and for following threads but when I tried the "followup" function it
dutifully gave me the message "You've now posted to
gmane.comp.lang.r.general." However, I was expecting my response to go to
R-help at stat.math.ethz.ch. So later I used gmane to see if my response had
somehow got to where I intended it. Alas, I never found it.

So how do you reply to someone's posting such that the reply lands up in the
original thread. I subscribe to the list with a daily single e-mail. I guess
if I got every message in real-time it would be easier since then you simply
reply to the e-mail from within one's email inbox. The downside is that I
would have lots of distractions all the time.

Farrel