[R] Support vector in lcrabs example

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 2 11:32:51 CEST 2006

The examples in the book were run in 2001, using S-PLUS (as it says).
The R package e1071 has changed since then, and hence the results it gives
have changed. However, the S-PLUS version (which has not been updated)
still gives the results in the book.

The `problem' is your expectation that R in 2006 is identical to S-PLUS
in 2001.

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, G.C. McGuinness wrote:

> Can anyone explain the root of my problem?
>
> When I type the following code into R, I receive 42 support
> vectors insted of the 21 stated in the book 'Modern Applied
> Statistics with S':
>
> library(MASS);
> library(e1071);
> library(class);
> lcrabs <- log(crabs[,4:8]);
> (svm(crabs$sp ~ ., data = lcrabs, cost = 100, gamma = 1));
>
> By changing the value of gamma I can obtain only 21 support vectors,
> but I not sure where an explanation to my problem can be found. I
> use R 2.3.2 and the most recent version of the package 'e1071'. My goal
> is to minimise the number of SVs for a separate data set.

There is no `R 2.3.2'.