[R] Summary method needed?

Heinz Tuechler tuechler at gmx.at
Thu Aug 3 10:39:35 CEST 2006

At 21:04 02.08.2006 +0100, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Christian Hennig wrote:
>
>> Thank you Brian!

>> > for 'classes', I think.
>>
>> Yes.

>> > Would a more concise print() method be useful?  If so the existing
print()
>> > could become summary().
>>
>> :-)
>> What I initially did some years ago was to write summary methods to
print out
>> the required informations. Then M. Maechler told me that this is not the
>> purpose of a summary method and I should write a print.summary method for
>> this. Now I realise that I actually just want to print, and I don't really
>> need the extra "synopsis" to be done by summary().
>>
>> Now is there any recommendation on this? My intuition would be to write a
>> print, but not a summary method.
>
>That sounds fine for your purposes.

Maybe I am wrong, but as far as I see, print() has the disadvantage that it
has to return x and must not return the summarized results as an object.
You remember the difficulties with print.survfit.
Instead it seems to be allowed that summary does not only print but also
return summarized results.
Is that right?

Greetings,
Heinz