[R] Constrain coefs. in linear model to sum to 0

Gorjanc Gregor Gregor.Gorjanc at bfro.uni-lj.si
Mon Aug 7 10:37:16 CEST 2006

Hello!

I would like to use constrain to sum coeficients of a factor to 0 instead
of classical corner contraint i.e. I would like to fit a model like

lm(y ~ 1 + effectA + effectB)

and say get parameters

intercept
effectA_1
effectA_2
effectB_1
effectB_2
effectB_3

where effectA_1 represents deviation of level A_1 from intercept and
sum(effectA_1, effectA_2) = 0 and the same for factor B.

Is this possible to do?

Lep pozdrav / With regards,
    Gregor Gorjanc

University of Ljubljana     PhD student
Biotechnical Faculty        URI: http://www.bfro.uni-lj.si/MR/ggorjan
Zootechnical Department     mail: gregor.gorjanc <at> bfro.uni-lj.si
Groblje 3                   tel: +386 (0)1 72 17 861
SI-1230 Domzale             fax: +386 (0)1 72 17 888
Slovenia, Europe