[R] Source installation error: "gfortran and gcc disagree on int and double ...

Mike mikeumo at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 8 06:15:36 CEST 2006

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> First, you do not need -fPIC: it is the same as -fpic which R selects on
> your platform.

Right, I commented the flags and configure goes just as far

> Second, please look at config.log to find the exact problem: it well be
> that your compilers are not properly installed (as was the case in the
> reference you quote below).

from config.log it seem that there are a few missing inclides and syntax
errors in confdefs.h. (I can quote the specifics, if necessary). The last
lines before the error message are:

configure:27770: checking whether gfortran and gcc agree on int and double
conftest.c: In function 'main':
conftest.c:28: warning: implicit declaration of function 'printf'
conftest.c:28: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
function 'printf'
conftest.c:29: warning: implicit declaration of function 'exit'
conftest.c:29: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
function 'exit'
conftestf.o: In function `cftest_':
/home/mike/Desktop/R-2.3.1/conftestf.f:9: undefined reference to
`_gfortran_pow_r8_i4'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:27848: WARNING: gfortran and gcc disagree on int and double
configure:27850: error: Maybe change CFLAGS or FFLAGS?

> Finally, your compilers are pretty obselete (there have been 4.0.2, 4.0.3,
> 4.1.0 and 4.1.1), so you should be updating them.

Changing compiler is not an option for me. Could you advise me how to
configure the flags?

Thanks,

Mike