[R] invisible() - does not return immediately as return() does

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Sat Aug 12 00:11:02 CEST 2006

Matthias Burger <matt.burger at web.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I stumbled across the following (unexpected for me) behavior after
> replacing a return() statement in the middle of a function by invisible().
>
> Example:
> foo <- function() { cat("before\n"); return(); cat("after\n")}
>>foo()
> before
> NULL
>
> foo2 <- function() { cat("before\n"); invisible(TRUE); cat("after\n")}
>>foo2()
> before
> after
>
> I expected invisible to have the same behavior as return, namely
> immediately return execution to the calling environment.
>
> I rechecked ?invisible and ?return
> and here I read in section 'See Also'
> [...]
> 'invisible' for 'return(.)'ing _invisibly_.
>
> Do I just misunderstand what this implies?
> Put another way what is the intention behind invisible() continuing
> until the last statement before returning? ?invisible does not hint at
> this.

I can understand the confusion, but I think invisible is intended to
return its argument "invisibly" and actually has nothing to do with
returning from a function (except that is where you are going to use
it almost always ;-).

So you want return(invisible(foo)) in the middle of a function.

The man page for invisible says:

   Return a (temporarily) invisible copy of an object.

But the man page for return has the return(.)'ing _invisibly_
statement which I think is confusing.

Cheers,

+ seth