[R] lasso for variable selection

zubin binabina at bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 12 23:23:23 CEST 2006

Attended JSM last week and Friedman mentioned the use of LASSO for
variable selection (he uses it for rules ensembles).  I am an
econometrician and not familiar with, i started running the examples in
R this week and you get to the plots section of the LARS package.
Plots of beta/max(beta)  vs standardized coefficients.  How does one
interpret them?  u see plots of each variable converging to zero at
different times - its pretty cool - but can i use this for variable
importance?

for variable selection - i have a group of correlated variables that we
need to determine importance in predicting change of a Y variable.

-zubin