[R] split a y-axis to show data on different scales

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Mon Aug 14 18:14:42 CEST 2006

	  The pro's and con's of using "scale breaks" were discussed by
Cleveland (1985) The Elements of Graphing Data (Wadsworth, pp. 85-91,
149).  I don't know what Cleveland said about this is the second edition
of this book, but I believe there are times when scale breaks are
appropriate, but the display should make this nonstandard transition
very clear;  otherwise, it can be seriously misleading.

	  Hope this helps.
	  Spencer Graves