[R] Question on .Options$max.print

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Aug 14 18:44:51 CEST 2006

    HansJB> Hi, I have a tiny question concerning
    HansJB> .Options$max.print

    HansJB> I have to set up this value to a greater value than
    HansJB> 10000 because I want to concatenate my output of a
    HansJB> function to one single string (for connivence).

    HansJB> I did this via .Options$max.print <- 64000 or
    HansJB> options(max.print=64000)

    HansJB> Then I call out <- paste(out, blabla) several times,
    HansJB> but nchar(out) is never larger than 10000.

    HansJB> I read in the help about '.Options' that this is not
    HansJB> yet used in base R. Could this be my problem?

well, it at least makes clear that your assumption that
this option would influence your paste() must be wrong.

I don't think there's any option influencing paste()
and I hope there won't every be any.
Options typically should only influence ``output formatting''
but not the result of a ``computational'' (i.e. non-printing/plotting)
function.

    HansJB> Thanks for any hint

The posting guide -- and every footer of all R-help posting asks
for a small reproducible example of R code.
So please do provide one
[and, BTW, keep this thread on R-help; do not reply privately..]

    HansJB> Hans

    HansJB> BTW I believe, there is a typo within the help page
    HansJB> about '.Options'

    HansJB> ...  The ‘factory-fresh’ default settings of some
    HansJB> of these options are ...  max.print 1000 ...

    HansJB> This should be ...  max.print 10000 ...

Yes, thank you.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich