[R] Call for Beta Testers: R+ (read R plus) for Solaris and L inux:

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Aug 15 01:09:48 CEST 2006

Note that it's "commercially supported", not just "commercial".  Also,
"commercial" does not mean "closed source".  Open source (and even GPL) and
"commercial" need not be mutually exclusive.  Remember that the "free" in
"free software" is as in "freedom" rather than as in beer (as far as GPL is
concern, at least).

Having commercial support for R may not be a bad thing:  It may well help
adaptation in the corporate world.  (Linux probably would not have made
inroads into large corps if not for companies providing commercial support
for it.)  It would be great if those who profited from R can contribute back
to the project in some way.

Just my $0.02...

Andy

  _____