[R] nls convergence problem

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue Aug 15 23:08:42 CEST 2006

>   Or, maybe there's something I don't understand about the
> algorithm being used.

Indeed! So before making such comments, why don't you try to learn about it?
Doug Bates is a pretty smart guy,  and I think you do him a disservice when
you assume that he somehow overlooked something that he explicitly warned
you about. I am fairly confident that if he could have made the problem go
away, he would have. So I think your vent was a bit inconsiderate and
perhaps even intemperate. The R Core folks have produced a minor miracle
IMO, and we should all be careful before assuming that they have overlooked
easily fixable problems. They're certainly not infallible -- but they're a
lot less fallible than most of the rest of us when it comes to R.

> Just my $0.02 and minority opinion,
> efg

... and mine.

-- Bert Gunter