[R] Grasper model error

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Wed Aug 16 11:07:38 CEST 2006

I'm not too familiar with using grasp, but the error is generated from the
`mgcv' package while setting up a GAM. The default smooths used for `s' terms
by mgcv::gam are thin plate regression splines based on an `eigen
approximation' to full thin plate splines. These have some nice properties
but become expensive to set up for data sets with more than a few thousand
points, in which case it is better to use a different basis for smooths of
one variable, e.g.
s(x,bs="cr")
or for smooths of several variables use either tensor product smooths, e.g.
te(x,z)
or use the `knots' argument to `gam' in the way shown at the end of the
examples in the `gam' help file.

Simon