[R] rpvm/snow packages on a cluster with dual-processor machi nes

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz at cnio.es
Thu Aug 17 10:56:05 CEST 2006

Dear Paul,

(I forgot to answer over the weekend). With mpi it is essentially the same.
When using makeCluster, specify the number of slaves. If you have three
machines, and you want each to run two slave processes, just use a 6.

Before that, though, you should tell LAM/MPI how to set up the "lam universe".
The simplest way is to specify that in a configuration file for LAM. Put
something like this (using appropriate IPs or host names; cpu=xx indicates
that you want each physical node to run those many xx slaves; it might, or
might not, be related to the actual number of CPUs) in a file called, say,
lamb-conf1.def

192.168.2.2 cpu=2
192.168.2.3 cpu=2
192.168.2.4 cpu=2

Now do (as user, NOT root)

lamboot -v lamb-conf1.def

If that works, then start R, and use snow.

A very good explanation on how to use mpi with R appeared in R news a while
ago by the author of Rmpi.

HTH,

R.

--
Ramón Díaz-Uriarte
Bioinformatics

http://ligarto.org/rdiaz
PGP KeyID: 0xE89B3462
(http://ligarto.org/rdiaz/0xE89B3462.asc)

**NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD** Este correo electrónico, y en s...{{dropped}}