[R] Lattice package par.settings/trellis.par.settings questions

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 16:52:05 CEST 2006

On 8/17/06, Debarchana Ghosh <ghos0033 at umn.edu> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to modify some of the default graphic parameters in a
> conditional histogram. While I was able to change the default grey
> background to white, I couldn't change the axis.font or the xlab font.

The default background is no longer grey in the latest release.

> I used the following code:
>
> /histogram(~V751|V013+V025, finalbase, xlab="Heard of HIV/AIDS
> (No/Yes)", col=c("cyan","magenta"), par.settings=list(background="white"))
>
> /The arguments for example  like /axis.font=2/, or /cex=2/ are not
> working in the /par.settings(). /I also tried to read the manual of
> /trellis.par.settings()/ but didn't understand how to use it and where
> exactly to put it.

The documentation is certainly lacking in this area (I hope to improve
it in the coming months). Gabor mentioned the settings for axis
labels. The xlab text is controlled by "par.xlab.text", try:

str(trellis.par.get("par.xlab.text"))

Both can be controlled in the call directly, e.g.

histogram(1:10,
          scales = list(font = 2, cex = 0.5),
          xlab = list(cex = 2, col = 'red'))

Such use /is/ fairly well documented.