[R] dataframe of unequal rows

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Fri Aug 18 20:16:58 CEST 2006

test.txt:

"V1"	"V2"	"V3"	"V4"
1	2	3	4
5	6	7
		8	9
10			11
12	13	14	15

The fields are delimited by tab characters ("\t")

In R:

> read.table(choose.files(),sep='\t',head=TRUE)

  V1 V2 V3 V4
1  1  2  3  4
2  5  6  7 NA
3 NA NA  8  9
4 10 NA NA 11
5 12 13 14 15

(I use choose.files() on Windows to select the file via the standard file
browser widget)

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
process."  - George E. P. Box