[R] [R-pkgs] New version of glmmML

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Aug 21 14:17:59 CEST 2006

Hi Göran,

    GB> A new version, 0.65-1, of glmmML is now on CRAN. It is a major rewrite
    GB> of the inner structures, so frequent updates (bug fixes) may be
    GB> expected for some time.

    GB> News:

    [............]

Sorry for my lazy question :

   What does the package do that lmer() does not?

I do know that you are a smart person so I know I will get a non-trivial
answer.  The main reason for this e-mail is really to encourage you (and
all other 'R-packages' posters) to do the following in each
posting to R-packages:

1) [One paragraph:]
  What does the package do // why do you see a need for the
  package // what's the bigger context ?

2) [another paragraph (or two...):]
  News  etc

Since the R-packages archives are relatively prominently listed
as part of "News" on the R project website, (and also since I
encourage ``everyone'' to subscribe to R-packages,)

I think the extra information in "1)" above would be appropriate
for every posting to R-packages.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich