[R] error message from lm.ridge() in MASS ***package***

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Aug 24 10:17:51 CEST 2006

    jz7> Dear all,
    jz7> I got a wierd problem when using lm.ridge() in MASS library.

there is "MASS the book" and "MASS the package",
and there is even a MASS library (namely the file MASS.so or
MASS.dll depending on your platform) but you are really talking
about the MASS *package* !

    jz7> When my X matrix has few columns, there is no
    jz7> problem. But when my X matrix gets larger (over 1000
    jz7> columns), I got the following error:

and where is the "selfcontained reproducible code" which we ask
you for, explicitly in the posting guide and at the footer of
every R-help message ???

    jz7> Error in Xs$v %*% a : non-conformable arguments
    jz7> In addition: Warning messages:
    jz7> 1: longer object length
    jz7> is not a multiple of shorter object length in: d^2 + rep(lambda,
    jz7> rep(p, k))
    jz7> 2: longer object length
    jz7> is not a multiple of shorter object length in: drop(d * rhs)/div

    jz7> The R code I use for the calculation is "lm.ridge( y ~ x,lambda=seq(1,15,1))".

    jz7> Please advice.

    jz7> Thanks a lot!
    jz7> Jeny