[R] Lost command area in R-SciViews

Stefan Th. Gries stgries_lists at arcor.de
Thu Aug 24 11:34:00 CEST 2006

Dear all

I am writing with a question regarding SciViews for R. It's probably a slightly stupid question but I cannot find a solution to a very elementary problem. I am using SciViews 0.8.9 on with R 2.3.1pat on a Windows XP Home machine. R is set to SDI mode, I start R, enter "library(svGUI)", SciViews starts properly, I can access the docks and everything, but

(i) the command area at the bottom cannot be found
(ii) the regular R window cannot be minimized/maximized anymore.

I don't know what to do to get the command area back. I have checked the web and the mailing list (with the search words "sciviews" and "command") but all I could come up with (<http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/05/12/16841.html>) is the recommendation to click on Misc: Toolbars: Command. But I did that and it's still not visible. Am I making some kind of stupid mistake? I have uploaded a screenshot to my website at <http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/faculty/stgries/other/sciviews.png> to show you what's happening. I have even un- and reinstalled R and SciViews but to no avail. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am currently teaching a course on R and would like to show the participants how to work with R, Tinn-R, and SciViews, but with the present problem, this is not going to work; I wrote to Philippe Grosjean but have not received a reply.

Thanks a lot,
STG
--
Stefan Th. Gries