[R] Authoring a book

Stefan Grosse singularitaet at gmx.net
Fri Aug 25 08:10:38 CEST 2006

>> //people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/lshort/lshort.pdf
>
> It really was a "not too short" intro.  I'll have a look at it.

Yes definitly not too short. But it states in LaTeX in 133 min ...

>Seems to be for Linux only.  My server is Windows, even if I have the
rest of the components.

Hm at the projects' homepage its stated that it is OS independent:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/uniwakka/

I also dont see a hint that it is Linux dependent in the installation notes.

Maybe you think its Linux stuff because of the *.tar.gz ending? You can
unzip those files also on Windows, its just a packing file format.
For unpacking on a windows machine use either 7zip:
http://www.7-zip.org/ or the total commander: http://www.ghisler.com .
The first is a free packing program and the second is the best ever
windows file manager (if you want to open it there just double click at
the archive).

Stefan Grosse

The unpacked instl. notes:

Wakka Installation

Not much to it (as long as it works, ahem). Unpack/upload the
distribution files
into a directory that can be accessed via the web. Then go to the
corresponding URL.
A web-based installer will walk you through the rest.

Example:

If your website, say, http://www.mysite.com, is mapped to the directory
/home/jdoe/www/,
and you place the Wakka distribution files into /home/jdoe/www/wakka/,
you should go to
http://www.mysite.com/wakka/.

Note that Wakka distributions normally unpack into directories that
include the version
in their name; you'll probably want to rename those to just "wakka" --
or, if you're
on a unixoid system, set up a symbolic link.

During first installs, the installer will try to create a file called
wakka.config.php
in your Wakka directory. In order to do this, you will need to either
make the Wakka
directory writable by the web server, or create a new (empty) file called
wakka.config.php which is writable by the web server. If the installer
still fails to
create the file, it will dump the file's contents which you can then
upload manually.

IMPORTANT: for installing or upgrading Wakka, do NOT access any of the
files contained
in the setup/ subdirectory. They're used by the web-based
installer/updater, but you
should really just access the Wakka directory itself, and it will (or at
least should)
work perfectly.

Detailed instructions are available at
<http://www.wakkawiki.com/WakkaInstallation>.