[R] Type II and III sum of square in Anova (R, car package)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Aug 27 09:37:01 CEST 2006

I think this starts from the position of a batch-oriented package.
In R you can refit models with update(), add1() and drop1(), and
experienced S/R users almost never use ANOVA tables for unbalanced
designs.  Rather than fit a pre-specified set of sub-models, why not fit
those sub-models that appear to make some sense for your problem and data?

SInce your post lacks a signature and your credentials we have no idea of
your background, which makes it very difficult even to know what reading
to suggest to you.  But Bill Venables' 'exegeses' paper
(http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/MASS3/Exegeses.pdf) may be a good start.
It does explain your comment '3.'.