[R] Rgraphviz - neato layout - edge weights do not have an effect

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Mon Aug 28 17:06:14 CEST 2006

Hi Franz,

This might be better directed to the bioconductor mail list.

Franz Quehenberger <franz.quehenberger at meduni-graz.at> writes:
> Dear all,
>
> neato makes layouts according to a physical model in which the length
> of the edges is determined by springs. The weight of the edge is the
> strength of the spring. However, I was not able to find any influence
> of edge weight on the layout. In the
> http://www.graphviz.org/Documentation/neatoguide.pdf the attribute
> "len" is another parameter of the neato layout.
>
> set.seed(31) V=letters[1:5] g2=randomEGraph(V,0.5)
> plot(g2,"neato",main="All weights 1")
>
> # change and edge weight edgeData(g2, from = "d", to = "e", attr =
> "weight") <- 20 plot(g2,"neato",main="Nothing changed!")
>
> #try out length attribute change edgeDataDefaults(g2,"len")=1
> edgeData(g2, from = "d", to = "e", attr = "len") <- 5
> plot(g2,"neato",main="Nothing changed again!")
>

> Has anyone an idea how to achieve a change in the graph layout ?

Have you read through the Rgraphviz vignettes?

Rgraphviz currently ignores attributes of the graph.  This is
currently by design: display attributes are Rgraphviz's business.
There are ways to specify node and edge attributes for Rgraphviz, but
I'm not sure if the feature you want is implemented.

+ seth