[R] density() with from, to or cut and comparrison of density()

Rainer M Krug rkrug at sun.ac.za
Wed Aug 30 12:27:13 CEST 2006

Hi

the function density() does normally integrate to one - I've checked it
and it works and I also read the previous threads.
But I realised that it does not integrate to one if I use from, to or cut.

My scenario: I simulated densities of a plants originating from an sseed
source at distance zero. Therefore the density of the plants will be
highest close to zero. Is there anything I can do to have this pattern?
If I use 'from' or 'cut', the resulting densities do not integrate to
one which I need as I want to compare different density curves.

Ny second question is concerning the bandwidth. An I correct in saying
that if I want to compare different density estimates that the bandwidth
should be the same for all of them?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug, Dipl. Phys. (Germany), MSc Conservation
Biology (UCT)

Department of Conservation Ecology and Entomology
University of Stellenbosch
Matieland 7602
South Africa

Tel:		+27 - (0)72 808 2975 (w)