[R] sample size for recurrent events

Mike mbabyak at nc.rr.com
Thu Aug 31 17:14:59 CEST 2006

Dear All,

I'm a relative novice in R, with some experience with S-plus and quite a
bit in SAS.  In R and S-Plus, I've primarily worked with Frank Harrell's
Design and Hmisc libraries.  I have R 2.3.1 for windows (XP) installed.

I have a project coming up in which the outcome will be recurrent
events.  There will be right censoring and likely to be a good stack of
0s on the left.  In searching the R archives, I came across the gcmrec
package, which looks like it will estimate the models I might be
interested in.

My question is whether anyone is aware of work done on sample size
planning for these models?  I came across a meeting abstract for a paper
that apparently presented some SAS code for power estimation, but I
haven't had any luck contacting the authors.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue or pointers to where I
might do some reading on this topic?  Of course, any thoughts on the
approriate model would also be more than welcome.

Thanks,

Mike Babyak