[R] alpha in Holt-Winters method

MARK LEEDS markleeds at verizon.net
Thu Aug 31 21:09:20 CEST 2006

you would have to take your series, y_1, ... y_t and run it over various
values of alpha ( say zero to 1 insteps of .01 ) and see which one gives say
the least MSE.
but that will be the optimal alpha for the window you are looking at. it
doesn't mean it will be the optimal apha for the data you deal with
at y_t+1,..... y_t+n.

it's been a while, but , in holt winters, i think there are 3 smoothing
constants so i would think you would want to optimize over all 3 of them ?

someone else can give the following  in more detail there is probably a way
to use nlmin or one of those optimization functions to find the optimal
smoothing constants but i
don't think it's worth the hassle because they are in a small enough range
that you can do it by brute force as above.