[R] simple parallel computing on single multicore machine

Millo Giovanni Giovanni_Millo at Generali.com
Fri Dec 1 13:23:56 CET 2006

Dear List,

the advent of multicore machines in the consumer segment makes me wonder
whether it would, at least in principle, be possible to divide a
computational task into more slave R processes running on the different
cores of the same processor, more or less in the way package SNOW would
do on a cluster. I am thinking of simple 'embarassingly parallel'
problems, just like inverting 1000 matrices, estimating 1000 models or
the like.

I have seen some talk here on making R multi-threaded and the like, but
this is much simpler. I am just a curious useR, so don't bother if you
don't have time, but maybe you can point me at some resource, or just
say "this is nonsense"...

Cheers
Giovanni

Giovanni Millo
Research Dept.,
Assicurazioni Generali SpA
Via Machiavelli 4,
34131 Trieste (Italy)
tel. +39 040 671184
fax  +39 040 671160

Ai sensi del D.Lgs. 196/2003 si precisa che le informazioni ...{{dropped}}