[R] C structures in R

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Dec 1 19:51:58 CET 2006

    BaRow> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
    >> The short answer is that quite a bit of code, e.g pwilcox
    >> and RODBC, does things like this.  You don't need to pass
    >> the pointer back to R, but if you do external pointers
    >> are designed for this job.

    BaRow>   [reads a bit more of 'Writing R Extensions'...]

    BaRow>   Right yes, this does look like the tool for the
    BaRow> job. I'll try and come up with a minimal example that
    BaRow> duplicates what I'm doing with raw and pointers, it
    BaRow> might be a useful illustration in the documentation.

Yes, indeed.  I've wanted to have a small well documented
example on using external pointers more than once.

And if it would end up to be too large for "Writing R Ext..",
you could put it at least on the R-Wiki.

Thanks in advance!
Martin