[R] Is there a better way for inputing data manually?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sat Dec 2 05:40:17 CET 2006

On 12/1/2006 11:00 PM, Wei-Wei Guo wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have worked with R for some time. It's a great tool for data analysis. But it's too hard to inputing raw data manually with R (I don't mean importing data. R is good at importing data). Maybe it's not a focused topic in this list, but I don't know other place where I can ask the question. How do you do when inputing data from a paper material, such as questionnaire, or what do you use ?

I would not use R for this.  Depending on how many questionnaires I had,
from small number to large, I would use:

1.  A text file.
2.  A spreadsheet, like Excel, or the OpenOffice one, or the R data editor.
3.  A custom program written specifically to handle the particular
questionnaire.

You can do 1 and 2 in R, but you can't do them as well as programs
dedicated to those tasks, and you can't do 3 at all well.  It depends a
lot on the specific conventions of the platform you're working on.  R is
aimed at writing cross-platform programs, and isn't particularly good at
writing GUI programs, which is what you want here.  I would personally
use Delphi for this, but there are lots of alternatives.

Duncan Murdoch