[R] Usage of apply

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Wed Dec 6 18:30:50 CET 2006

But do note -- again! -- that the apply family of functions do their magic
**internally through looping**, so that they are generally not much faster
-- and sometimes a bit slower -- then explicit loops. Their chief advantage
(IMO, of course) is in code clarity and correctness, which is why I prefer
them. (They are also written to do their looping as efficiently as possible,
which explicit looping in user code may not.)

Of course, vectorized calculations (colMeans() in the example below) **are**
much faster and usually clearer than explicit loops.

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA 94404