[R] Calculating distance given coordinates

Anirudh V. S. Ruhil ruhil at ohio.edu
Thu Dec 7 12:42:29 CET 2006

Given the following data (see below) on nest locations (fid.albers = 149,
148, etc.), I need to (a) calculate the distance between all fid pairs, and
(b) flag all nests within an user-specified radius. What syntax will
accomplish both tasks? If it helps, I have the nest locations as eastings
and northings as well but thought better of estimating distance by
calculating the root of the hypotenuse between all nest pairs.

     x.albers y.albers fid.albers
[1,]   723557   671748        149
[2,]   723384   671867        148
[3,]   723375   671757        147
[4,]   723363   671824        146

best

Ani

Anirudh V. S. Ruhil, Ph.D.
Sr. Research Associate
Voinovich Center for Leadership and Public Affairs
Ohio University
Building 21, The Ridges
Athens, OH 45701-2979
Tel: 740.597.1949 | Fax: 740.597.3057