[R] help-links.sh not found by help.start() -- do I need to recompile?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Thu Dec 7 18:51:07 CET 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 19:34 +0200, Ivailo Stoyanov wrote:
> Dear Rexperts,
>
> after building R 2.4.0 from source in a temporary directory (*without*
> installation), and subsequently moving the whole source/build tree to
> another location, I have noticed that I had to change the variables
> R_SHARE_DIR, R_INCLUDE_DIR, and R_DOC_DIR in the wrapper-script
> /lib/R/bin/R as to reflect the current situation.
>
> However, when I try to run the HTML help via help.start() I still get an
> error message saying that:
>
> sh: /tmp/r-project-build/usr/lib/R/share/sh/help-links.sh: No such file
> or directory
>
> Interestingly, the system still tries to search for scripts in
> /tmp/r-project-build/, the temporary build directory that clearly isn't
> valid now.
>
> My question is: has the mentioned path become hard-coded in the binaries
> or am I
> missing some config-file/wrapper script that needs to be edited in order
> to reflect the current state?
>
> Thank you in advance for any hints!
>
> All the best,
> Ivailo

When you "moved" the source/build tree to "another location", did you
use 'make install' as root, or did you use 'mv' or 'cp'?

The former is the _proper_ way to actually install R, after building
from source and this is covered in the R Admin Manual. See:

  http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Installation

HTH,

Marc Schwartz