[R] help-links.sh not found by help.start() -- do I need to recompile?

Ivailo Stoyanov istoyanov at ecolab.bas.bg
Thu Dec 7 19:47:27 CET 2006

Peter Dalgaard wrote:
[snip]
>> AFAIK, the approach of running R from within the build location is
>> fully valid as it is noted at the end of section "2.1 Simple
>> compilation", just above the cited one:
>>
> Yes, but then it is not "actually installed".
[snip]
>> "... Note: you do not need to install R: you can run it from where it
>> was built."
>>
> You can, but note that it doesn't say that you can move the build
> location afterwards, and in fact, you can not, because of the
> non-relative pathnames.

Actually, I have used R for a long time without any (apparent) problems
being "installed" this way. I just changed the mentioned variables
manually, and everything was running just fine -- until I needed to
check the HTML help recently. Therefore I thought that I've missed to
fix some config-file in an analogous maner to solve the problem with the
script that wasn't found by the system.

I assume that I have to recompile (something that I was hoping to avoid
due to the rather decent system I use currently) to get this issue
fixed. Am I right?