[R] Rcmdr package

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Dec 9 23:41:11 CET 2006

On 9 December 2006 at 17:09, İbrahim Mutlay wrote:
| Dear Mr. Eddelbuettel,

[ Well if you want to be formal, Dr Eddelbuettel is more appropriate.  But
Dirk is easier on your keyboard ... ]

| in R, i wrote the command of capabilities(), and the result was such like:
|
| > capabilities()
| Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
| Xlib: No protocol specified
|
|     jpeg      png    tcltk      X11 http/ftp  sockets   libxml     fifo
|    FALSE    FALSE    FALSE    FALSE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
|   cledit    iconv      NLS
|     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
|
| My R version is 2.4.0, so, the version was compiled by me but i do not know
| about building the Tcl/Tk support. In fact, i followed the directions in the
| "INSTALL" file. Now i can't remember problems, if exist, at the installation
| process.

So you chose to build your own R instead of using the package I maintain for
Debian, and which I install onto Quantian.  No problem so far --- but you
happened to build R without jpeg, png, tcltk, or x11. There is a clear
message that configure prints at the end of its run that you probably
overlooked.  Maybe you want to revisit the extensive documentation
in the various READMEs and in the 'R Administration' manual?

As Peter told you, you need to make sure that you have all the required
development packages.  On a Debian system such as Quantian, this is easily
achieved via 'apt-get build-dep r-base' which would install all potentially
missing build-dependencies for the r-base package.  Eg on a Ubuntu 'edgy'
system I have here, a 'simulated' run (ie not actually installing it) starts
at

root at joe:~ # apt-get -s build-dep r-base
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  bison gfortran gfortran-4.1 libgfortran1-dev libmpfr1 libreadline5-dev
  refblas3-dev tcl8.4-dev texi2html tk8.4-dev
0 upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

so the system can figure out itself what it needs. For comparison. on my
Debian box all pieces are present:

basebud:~# apt-get -s build-dep r-base
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded

Good luck,  Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison