[R] Rcmdr package

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Dec 10 02:11:02 CET 2006

On 9 December 2006 at 18:29, İbrahim Mutlay wrote:
| My intent in installing a newer R version is just an approach that "newer is
| better". So, i'm a "teenager" statistician and R user, thus, i can not
| discriminate a newer tar.gz package from stable debian packages. But you're
| right about that i should use R coming from Quantian or maintained for
| Debian.
|
| I tried "apt-get...." command, so, i faced to the words:
|
| root at quantian:/home/mutlay/r# apt-get -s build-dep r-base
| Reading package lists... Done
| Building dependency tree... Done
| W: Couldn't stat source package list http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net ./
| Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net_debian_._Packages)
| - stat (2 No such file or directory)
| W: Couldn't stat source package list http://kanotix.com ./ Packages
| (/var/lib/apt/lists/kanotix.com_files_debian_._Packages) - stat (2 No such
| file or directory)
| W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
| E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list

It's the package manager telling you that two entries are not responding. You
should comment them out.

If all that is too complicated for you then ... maybe you should just run
Quantian "as is" ?

There is a reason why there are more than six gigabytes of *installed* and
*configured* software ready to run -- installation can be tricky and tedious.
Quantian already has R, it has Rcmdr, and it has thousands more packages.
Why not use Quantian as-is if you can't get the newer stuff installed?

Regards, Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison