[R] barplot - how to force vertical axis to cover entire plot area

Ricardo Rodríguez - Your XEN ICT Team webmaster at xen.net
Mon Dec 11 10:02:10 CET 2006

Hi, Etienne,

I've seen this while working with barplot and never been able to understand the general rule, but by setting ylim high enough, I've always been able to draw a y axis covering the biggest values.

Could you send a data subset to reproduce the issue? Thanks.

Best,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your XEN ICT Team

>>> Etienne<etiennesky at yahoo.com> 7/12/2006 01:43 >>>

I'm using barplot with the following call:

barplot(stat_data[[5]][,],axes=TRUE,axisnames=TRUE,axis.lty=1,xlab=xlab,ylab=ylab,beside=TRUE,las=1,font.lab=2,font.axis=1,legend.text=TRUE)

On some data, the vertical axis does not cover the
whole plot area and the last tick mark is smaller than
the maximum value.

I tried setting the ylim values but even with that,
some plots are still not OK, it just shrinks the
length of the bars.

Attached is a png example of the problem.  I hope it
gets through.

Thanks,
Etienne