[R] Cannot scale my map

Ray Brownrigg Ray.Brownrigg at mcs.vuw.ac.nz
Mon Dec 11 21:32:53 CET 2006

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 09:07, Mihalis Tsoukalos wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have the following problem:
>
> I want to plot my data and display a map at the same graph. The
> problem is that my map is not properly sized (is very small). It
> appears at the bottom-left side of the output.
> I am using the following R commands:
>
> {
> plot(Time, col="lightgrey")
> title("Connections per Minute")
> map("world", fill=TRUE, lwd=0.25, col="green", add=TRUE)
> box()
> }
>
> Please note that Time contains data in the following format:
> 00:00
> 00:01
> 22:04, etc.
>
> Can you please help me?

Well, the only way a map(..., add=TRUE) will work is if the original scale is
in the order of latitude and longitude in degrees.  It is not clear exactly
how the data you are plotting relates to the map you want.

If you just want the map as a 'background', then you will need to rescale one
or other of the plots.

Hope this helps,
Ray Brownrigg