[R] help on determining operating system

Mihalis Tsoukalos playtime at freemail.gr
Tue Dec 12 07:54:51 CET 2006

On Tue 12 Dec 2006, at 06:40 , LU YING wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I am an R user and I also write my own package in R(sometime i need to
> write  in C), and right now i am thinking about buying a new
> workstation--and i am trying to decide if i should get
> a mac with OS X or a linux machine (for example Dell).
>
> I have experience using R on linux (but i have been just a user and
> never
> been a admin) but i am hesitating of managing a linux system on my own
> (btw I would like to have my new workstation to be used as a
> server), so
> right now I am leaning toward of buying a Mac Pro. But from the
> website,
> it sounds like R doesnt work quite well with Mac operating system
> yet...so I was wondering if anybody here have any experiences of
> using/developing R package on a Mac machine? Is it smooth enough?
>
> (oh by the way, i am not a Mac user yet, Windows has been the primary
> operating system that i used, but after hearing many good things
> of OS X, I am really interested in switching over.)
>
> any suggestions are appreciated!
>
> Ying

Hi Ying.

I am using R on both a PowerMac and a MacBook. I do not do any
development but as far as using R I do not have any problems.
Please note that software such as Parallels (http://
www.parallels.com), allows you to run Linux on a Mac Intel (such as
Mac Pro) without problems, in case you need it.

Feel free to ask more questions,
Mihalis.

----
Mac for Productivity, Unix for Development, and Windows for Solitaire