[R] Stepwise regression

Timothy.Mak at iop.kcl.ac.uk Timothy.Mak at iop.kcl.ac.uk
Thu Dec 14 17:28:12 CET 2006

Dear all,

I am wondering why the step() procedure in R has the description 'Select a
formula-based model by AIC'.

I have been using Stata and SPSS and neither package made any reference to
AIC in its stepwise procedure, and I read from an earlier R-Help post that
step() is really the 'usual' way for doing stepwise (R Help post from Prof
Ripley, Fri, 2 Apr 1999 05:06:03 +0100 (BST)).

My understanding of the 'usual' way of doing say forward regression is
that variables whose p value drops below a criterion (commonly 0.05)
become candidates for being included in the model, and the one with the
lowest p among these gets chosen, and the step is repeated until all p
values not in the model are above 0.05, cf Hosmer and Lemeshow (1989)
Applied Logistic Regression. The procedure does not require examination of
the AIC.

I am not well aquainted with R enough to understand the codes used in
step(), so can somebody tell me how step() works?

Thanks very much,

Tim