[R] Problems with ARIMA commands

Livio Fenga livio.fenga at uniroma2.it
Fri Dec 15 02:08:33 CET 2006

Hi!
I have to fit 36 ARMA models  (all combination from the order (0,0) to
the order (5,5) ) to 1000 bootstrap replication from each of 1000
simulated time series following an ARMA(2,1) process. The simulated
series are generated by ARIMA.SIM command.

The problem is the following: the esimation procedure of ARMA
coefficient stops after the estimation of a certain number of bootstrap
replication (it ranges from 10,15 to 55) always before the 10-th
simulated serie due to an "error in solve.default(res$hessian * n.used)
:  Lapack routine dgesv: is   the system is exactely singiular" .

I tried to modify the command OPTIM in the command ARIMA, it worked but
not when  I try to apply this modified OPTIM in the ARMA command. In
other words I put an error in the OPTIM command but ARMA ignores it and
gives me parameters estimation.

Another (related) question is the following:  is there a way to modify
ARIMA command in order to get only the estimated coefficients and the AIC ?

I really would like to thank for the kind attention.

Best,

Livio Fenga