[R] How do I create an object in the Global environment from a function

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Thu Dec 14 21:14:23 CET 2006

Please note that help("<<-") says:

"The operators '<<-' and '->>' cause a search to made through the
     environment for an existing definition of the variable being
     assigned.  If such a variable is found (and its binding is not
     locked) then its value is redefined, otherwise assignment takes
     place in the global environment."

Thus, if you really want to make sure to assign it to the global
environment you should do:

  assign("b", value, envir=globalenv())

/Henrik