[R] Query regarding linking R with Matlab

Henrik Bengtsson henrikb at braju.com
Sun Dec 17 23:15:41 CET 2006

Hi,

what operating system are you on and what version of Matlab do you have?

In general you should be able to get started with R.matlab by first
installing all required packages from CRAN:

install.packages(c("R.oo", "R.utils", "R.matlab"))

Then load the package:

library(R.matlab)

>From there just follow the example in help(Matlab):

# Create a Matlab client
matlab <- Matlab(host="localhost", port=9998)

# Connect to the Matlab server
if (!open(matlab))
  throw("Matlab server is not running: waited 30 seconds.")

# Run Matlab expressions on the Matlab server
res <- evaluate(matlab, "A=1+2;", "B=ones(2,20);")

# Get Matlab variables
data <- getVariable(matlab, c("A", "B"))
cat("Received variables:\n")
str(data)

# When done, close the Matlab client, which will also shutdown
# the Matlab server and the connection to it.
close(matlab)

Hope this helps

Henrik